Thursday, April 7, 2011

You want me to do WHAT? You've met me right?


Continuing this series I wanted to look at the second of our responsibilities in reaching our Promised Land:    

 Don’t focus on the obstacles or let them stop you.

The bible is full of stories of the underdog, in fact it is all part of God's plan! You see the smaller, less qualified, more dependant we are on HIM then the more glory He receives when we accomplish the task He has called us to (2 Corinthians 12:9). Time and again we see it. Gideon, David, and Esther, all faced odds that should have been insurmountable; but all were victorious because they were willing to submit to God’s direct leading and intervention.  I love Gideon’s response to the Lord when He calls Gideon to lead the Israelites against the Midianites. “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” (Judges 6:14-16)  I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to say the same thing to God, "Excuse me Lord, but you want me to do WHAT?  You've met me right???" 

But all of that said they moved past the obstacles.  Gideon trusted God and ignored the fact that he was outnumbered by the hundred thousands (the Bible tells us there were so many Midianites you couldn’t count them or their camels- they were  thick like locusts). David looked past Goliath’s massive strength. Esther faced the possibility of death and spoke truth to her king. 

I find that I am often crippled by the obstacles – they loom so large my eyes can’t see anything but them.  I’d like to say that I always persevere, always remember to look at God instead. But I don’t. There are times where I have missed opportunities for blessings altogether, or I am dragged kicking and screaming down the path.  But those are the times when my eyes are not on Jesus and my ears have chosen to believe the lies of this world and its father.  So each day I will chose to listen to the voice of truth and trust in God's promises; because He does know me and through Him I can do whatever he calls me to!

No comments:

Post a Comment