Thursday, April 14, 2011

You mean you don't see it my way?

Remember the Lord’s past faithfulness to you, and trust Him now 

 You should make a journal, a brief recording of when you see God at work! I can’t tell you how many times I have suggested this to others who have come and are struggling to see God’s hand.  Any yet do I ever take my own advice? No, of course not. However, I am blessed that seeing God and remembering his faithfulness, is not such a struggle for me. I am blessed to have the gift of faith.   When I look at my life I am able to trust and see God’s hand with very little effort.  I now realize this is not the case for everyone. I just assumed that everyone looked at things they way I did.  In fact this used to be a source of discord for my husband and me.  I couldn’t understand why obstacles would discourage him so. Why if something went wrong he felt God had looked away. It would make me crazy that he couldn't see things the way I did.  I would get so frustrated with him for what I saw as weakness. In actuality I think his faith may be stronger. He has to work twice as hard as I do to pursue God in difficult time - that takes strength!!

 Now don’t let me confuse you, everyone who believes has faith. Ephesians 2:8 clearly says “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God” so the act of believing at all means we all have faith!
 Once we accept Christ the Holy Spirit begins drawing out and refining the spiritual gifts He has given us. If you've been hanging around a church at all I am sure you've heard of some of them; service, hospitality, teaching, etc. 1 Corinthians 12:8-9 lists still more of the spiritual gifts the Spirit may grow in us once we believe,  “8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit. "   
 
Here the Bible is quite clear about two things. One - the Holy Spirit is the author of all of these gifts. Two - these gifts are being given out to different people. Now all of these people have faith through grace (otherwise the Spirit wouldn't be there working in them), so we have to conclude that there is something different about that faith given. 

If you haven't quite figured out what your gift is yet, ask God to show you.  Look at your passions; ask your friends, they have even created assessments nowadays.  But seek it out; there is nothing more fulfilling than doing things in your Spirit gifted area!

Oh and my husband, he has the gift of knowledge and teaching – he is so wise when it comes to scripture and I would never want to go head to head with him in a spiritual debate (apologetics) he would kick my butt every time! He can pull up 10 scripture and point to examples supported by history while I would still be looking for my bible.  He teaches me new things every day.  And when things are difficult and He has trouble finding God in a situation, then I can help him.  I can point out God's hand at work and encourage him that God is working all things for the good of those who love Him. 

Guess that is why made us the BODY of Christ, we each have an important role to play. So if you are struggling to remember God's past faithfulness or see His hand at work now, look around, I am willing to bet he has placed someone with the gift of faith in your life.  And they will be blessed to look for God with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment