Wednesday, June 8, 2011

You and Me

Working in a church is one of the greatest blessings I can count in my life.  To be constantly surrounded by others with the same goal - growing in Christ and advancing His Kingdom! I recognize regularly how blessed I am to work with people I love and to be constantly surrounded by God's word.  In many ways it is easy to keep God in the forefront where He belongs.  It is certainly easier to guard one's words, thoughts and deeds!

But surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly if you know me well) even in this environment it is easy to get off track . . . to let emotions rule reason . . .  to focus on our own agendas rather than Gods. 

One of the areas I struggle with this is in my private time with the Lord.  I love to get up early (ok I don't love it, but if I don't do it I am not such a nice person)!  I need that hour (today was only 30 minutes, I was really tired) of alone time before my house explodes into action for the day.  That is my time with God, my time to center myself on His will.  But it is not uncommon for that time to get eaten away at by "good things".  I check my email - send off a few encouraging words, or pick up a book (currently Activate by Nelson Searcy), or search through devotionals for just the right thing to share with my staff that day.  None of these are bad things, quite the opposite they are good and necessary for any ministry to grow. But, they are not "best" for my early morning time with God.  He repeatedly reminds me that He wants it to be "You and Me".  Yes, prayer is imperative for our ministries to grow and thrive, but first we must be plugged in to the source of that growth.

Psalm 46:10 reminds me that I must "be still and know that I am God".  I need to guard my morning time, lay it before the Lord as an offering, seek His forgiveness, guidance, wisdom and peace.  Any relationship needs alone time to grow, to get to know each other, discover more about each other (and by default ourselves).  So today I will remember to Seek Him First, and find some You and Me time.

No comments:

Post a Comment